Thursday 27 February 2014

My First EHALAKASA Night




My first experience at a spoken-word poetry performance has formed a vignette on my memory. It was at an EHALAKASA night, introduced to me by a friend.


EHALAKASA is a monthly spoken-word poetry performance in Accra, Ghana. EHA means “song” in Ewe language, LA means “sing” in Ga-Dangbe language and KASA means “talk” in Akan (Twi) language. These separate words form EHALAKASA literally meaning “song sing talk”.

Normally, poetry performances are perceived to be boring. Many people do not attend these performances. However, the audience-space was almost full, by the time I arrived at the venue. It was left with thirty minutes to the start of the program.  “This is unusual” I told myself. I found myself a seat and waited for the real show to start.



Edzordzi Agbozo, a poet, in performance


The master of ceremony came onto the stage and shouted “EHALAKASA”. The audience responded “it lives in us”. He then asked someone to prove to the audience that he deserves the name he bears. This was his way of introducing the first performer. I heard a song from behind me. It was a folk song. The audience took up the song and started clapping. I joined in. He moved onto the stage and performed; followed by many poets.

I enjoyed every bit of the program and vowed not to miss the next edition. Unfortunately however, I left for Turku. But I know that, EHALAKASA will be my home on every third Sunday of every month when I return to Ghana.



No comments:

Post a Comment