Friday 28 February 2014

Africa UMOJA-The Spirit of Togetherness


My love for theatre prompts me to attend any theatrical event advertised in Accra. I have attended so many of them. However, the Africa UMOJA-The Spirit of Togetherness was a different experience for me altogether. I watched it at the Ghana National Theatre on May 2, 2011. 

Event Logo

Africa UMOJA-The Spirit of Togetherness was a two hour explosion of song, dance and drama performed by an energetic and creative South African crew. It tells the saga of South Africa, its people and the changes that the years, especially those of the Apartheid era, have had on them. I have heard a lot about them so I was eager to watch them when I heard that they were coming to Ghana.
One of the vigorous theatrics


Their costume was a unique one. It consisted basically of stripes of cloth covering the genitals but the upper parts of the body were exposed. Breasts stuck out; protruding sensationally. I learnt it was to expose energy and natural beauty. The men too displayed their ‘warrior’ muscles and enticing chests. African beads form an essential part of their costume.


Performers

The performance itself was full of energy. There was lots of calculated choreography that was full of jumping, running in circles, ululation, drama and story-telling. One can classify the performance as dance-drama as stories were told with stylistic theatrics. One key story I got from the performance was the slave trade. I can vividly recall how the performers were chained and whipped and the resistance put up by ‘victims’. I shed tears at the climax.


I wish Africa UMOJA-The Spirit of Togetherness would be staged again and soon so that I can relive those moments.





No comments:

Post a Comment